Top 10 tips to look for to ensure you hire an awesome close up magician
In this post I’m going to share some vital tips that will ensure you avoid ruining your event, leaving your guests with a bad impression and making everyone hate magic for life. Instead you’ll learn how to find a top quality, reliable close up magician who can be trusted to entertain and astound your guests in a fun and friendly manner because quite simply; professional magician hire isn’t something most people are required to look into every day.
So what do you look for when booking a close up magician?
Good question. It’s important to check a close up magician’s credentials and experience as, unfortunately with the magic of the internet, it’s possible for anybody to buy cheap self-working tricks online, design themselves a website and refer to themselves as a “close up magician” in just a short period of time in an effort to try and make some fast cash… like me… just kidding – I’ve been performing and practising as a close up magician for the last 15 years (since the age of 7!) and I absolutely love astounding people! You can read more about how I got interested in magic and just how passionate I am about my art on the About the Interactive Magician page.
Top 10 things to check to weed out any poor quality close up magicians…
- Photographs - The most important factor that should decide whether you continue finding out more about a particular close up magician is whether they have good photos of them in action performing at a variety of events on their website. The photos should show good reactions from the guests the magician is entertaining – ask yourself: are they smiling, laughing, looking astounded or generally look like they are having a great time? If the answer is yes, then do continue… If the answer is no and the guests the close up magician is supposed to be entertaining look bored out of their skull or disinterested then would you really want them to ‘entertain’ at your event?
- Videos – Does the magician have video clips of themselves performing for real audiences, not just clips sat in front of the camera doing a few tricks taken from one angle? Just like with the photos, you want to make sure the guests genuinely look like they’re having a good time – that’s a strong indicator of whether that particular magician will be able to amaze guests at your event.
Although I am currently in the process of finalising a shiny new promotional video, I still have several videos on the main pages of my website, but you can view them all in a handy playlist here: Close up magician videos
Update: I have now finished producing my latest promo video, check it out by clicking the image below:
- Testimonials – Feedback from previous clients is important, genuine testimonials are a big deciding factor as they let you know whether people who have hired that magician in the past were happy with the service provided and also whether they would recommend them to others. Simple written testimonials can however be easily made up, so check that the magician can provide references to back up their testimonials if necessary.
In all of my years of performing close up magic I have never had a single unsatisfied client! I am proud to say that I have 100% positive feedback so I must be doing my job well Some of my previous client feedback is still over on my Yorkshire magician website under the Magicians Feedback page, please have a read through for yourself: close up magician testimonials
Update: I have now added a new client feedback page to my website for my clients to submit their testimonials directly, please have a read through to see what my most recent clients are saying about my service.
- Video testimonials – these are even better than written testimonials as you can see the client’s faces and tell through their body language as well as what they are actually saying whether they are genuinely happy with the entertainment and overall service provided.
You can find my previous client testimonial videos on each of the main close up magician pages on this website. When I remember, I like to capture video testimonials (even if just using the camcorder on my phone) after a performance so you can really see how genuinely thrilled all my existing clients are with my service!
- Professional – Technically the term ‘professional’ can mean anybody who charges money for what they do – which is sometimes used by amateur magicians and people who just do a little bit of magic on the side, so the term can be very misleading… Look for a genuine full-time professional or at least semi-professional if you want to ensure the close up magician you hire offers a quality service that is well practiced and perfected – a full time professional close up magician has to rely on his skills and ability to entertain in order to make a living, so they must be good enough to continue getting bookings!
You can rest assured that I am a self employed full time professional entertainer, my income depends solely on how much fun and amazement I can provide for other people, which is quite a cool position to be in – good job I love making people happy!
As you may have read over on the About the Interactive Magician page I am also a drum circle facilitator, and breakdancer/bboy – these are two things I absolutely love doing and have been hired for by many well known corporations to provide a professional corporate entertainment service. Yet being a close up magician is my main
jobpassion and has been since my age hit double figures!
I’ve got to start preparing for a performance this evening now, so that’s it for Part 1!
I’ll update you in the next few days with the last 5 vital points to look out for when finding a close up magician in Part 2 – stay tuned…
Update: Click the following link to read part 2…